Monday, October 5, 2015

My Barcelona Visit

No doubt many of you have been to Barcelona but it was my first trip. It certainly is a very happening destination right now. It has all the ingredients ...gorgeous beach, good flights from US (I arrived non stop from ATL), excellent hotels, incredible food, amazing architecture and museums, shopping to die for and for the younger generation never ending night life. Many cruises start and finish in Barcelona. You need at least three nights and two full days to really enjoy it.

I was fortunate to stay at the Majestic. Ideally located for walking to good shops and restaurants and just down the street from La Padrera..one of Gaudi's houses. The hotel is an old and ornate building but was renovated in 2012. The rooms vary a great deal so be sure to book at least an executive level room for your Virtuoso clients.  It is only 8 stories and most of the rooms face Paseo de Gracia and the rest face inside to the quiet courtyard. The pool and bar/restaurant on top of the hotel has a breathtaking view over Barcelona to the sea. On a weekend it is VERY popular and you might have a problem finding a table. We had lunch their several times. The hotel service and concierge were incredibly helpful when my friend lost her wallet in a taxi. It was  returned by the taxi driver late that night...that sure says alot about BCN being tourist friendly and safe. Full excellent buffet breakfast is served in their lovely garden restaurant and is included in the rate.

www.hotelmajestic.es/en

I arranged my hotel visits with this Virtuoso company below. I had attended a webinar the week before.

visitbarcelona.com
barcelonapremium.com

The W Hotel is the on its own peninsula on the beach ...very modern shaped like a whale and you can see it from miles away. The rooms are huge and they ALL have water views so you can actually lie in bed and see the sea. There are two pools and in the summer it is packed. You are just steps to the beach and tons of little restaurants. It would be my first choice if I were going in the summer season. It is part of the SPG group. Their restaurant has a Michelin star chef.
View from the W hotel
Room at the W hotel

The Arts Hotel, owned by Ritz Cartlon is also very modern and on the beach but not quite as good a location as the W. Again the rooms are huge and most offer sea views. There are private residences on the top two floors of the hotel that offer a perfect set-up for families. They also have their private club offering food and services all day. This is a good choice for business meetings or corporate clients.


www.hotelartsbarcelona.com/en

I also visited the NEW Cotton House which is part of the Marriott autograph collection. It is very elegant but cozy and small. I just had clients stay there and they loved it. It just opened in March and I think it should be considered for yuppies looking for romantic get a ways. I don't see putting families there or corporate types. It is just behind the Palace..(the old Ritz). I walked into the Palace and did not go any further than the lobby..very formal and stuffy.

Don't send anyone to the Claris..it is very run down and we waited 10 minutes to order a drink and left.

The sightseeing in Barcelona is so interesting. Be sure to arrange a private guide for your clients. It is
well worth it to get into Sagreda Familia, Guell Park, Picasso Museum ..the lines were never ending. I used Valesa Cultural.

If you have any specific questions please do email me and I would be delighted to share my experience. I also went to several Tapa places and could write another email just about that BUT I will spare you.

More Photos:

Typical tapas bar
Delicious sangria


Pam VR Long
Virtuoso Travel Consultant
Travel Exchange
PO box 559
Palm City, FL 34991
860 930 5007 cell
772 781 8099 office phone
paml@travelexchange.net

No comments: